Healthy eating can be as simple as re-stocking your fridge
Warmer weather is here and many of us are looking to kick-start healthy eating plans. Here are some tips to get you on the right track.
1. Nutritional specialists say the first step to kicking those bad eating habits is to purge your fridge of unhealthy options and guilty pleasure temptations like ice cream, sugary drinks and processed, packaged foods.
2. Once you've removed the clutter and junk, organize your fridge and stock it with healthy options like fruit, veggies, nuts and cheese. For easy snacking, pre-cut your vegetables or make a fruit bowl, then place at eye level. When nutritious snacks are visible as soon as you open your fridge, you are more likely to make a healthier choice when hunger strikes.
3. An expert tip on packing produce is to make sure your refrigerator has enough storage space. Wholesome foods stay fresher for longer periods when your fridge is organized and tidy. If you are in the market for a new fridge, look for one that has ample storage space.
4. For beverages, keep a water jug front-and-centre. Need some flavour? Infuse water with lemon, strawberries and cucumber, or make homemade iced teas. Learn to stay hydrated without the sugar or calories found in soft drinks and juices.
5. Finally, to avoid those nagging temptations, store your indulgences in an opaque storage container and push to the back of your fridge. Out of sight, out of mind.
– News Canada