The city of Stratford, Ontario is synonymous with two things: Stratford Shakespeare Festival and Canadian pop artist Justin Bieber. It’s no surprise, then, that the city has a booming tourism industry that is thanks, in part, to these two associations.
Although the city’s population is relatively small, when compared with nearby London, Stratford’s pastoral feel won the city recognition as the “Prettiest City in the World,” in 1997.
Recreation, Arts and Culture in Stratford
• Stratford Shakespeare Festival – a world-renowned festival that sees thousands of theatre fans and tourists pour into Stratford to enjoy a selection of Shakespeare’s plays in four theatres. Since 1953, this annual event has boosted the city’s arts and tourism profiles. Shakespeare fans and tourists alike have enjoyed the performances of celebrated thespians like Alec Guinness, Christopher Plummer, William Shatner and Dame Maggie Smith on the festival’s stages.
• Shakespearean Gardens – one of Stratford’s five prize-winning gardens, the Shakespearean Gardens is home to the oldest double-arch stone bridge in Ontario and 60 varieties of plants from the bard’s time.
• Art in the Park – each summer, from July through September, artisans of many disciplines descend on Lakeside Drive every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday to share their collection with members of the public.
• Stratford Symphony Orchestra – from the region’s rich arts culture comes live music that showcases the virtuosity within the community.
Education in Stratford
Students can find apartments and houses for rent in Stratford, Ontario close to its post-secondary institution:
• University of Waterloo (Stratford Campus) – this collaborative effort between the University of Waterloo and Stratford primarily focuses on digital creativity and innovation, and has been in operation since 2009.
Transportation in Stratford
Stratford | Ontario | Stratford tourism | Stratford Shakespeare Festival | Shakespearean Gardens | Art in the Park | Stratford Symphony Orchestra | University of Waterloo | Stratford Transit | Parallel Transit,
If you’re renting in Stratford, you can use the City of Stratford Transit to travel around the city, six days a week. Residents with disabilities can utilize Parallel Transit, which operates on a door-to-door basis.
More Apartments for Rent