Just a little more than half-an-hour south of London, Ontario is the city of St. Thomas. Surrounded by charming, picturesque towns and villages, the “Railway Capital of Canada,” is home to nearly 40,000 people, beautiful parks and numerous museums.
Recreation, Arts and Culture in St. Thomas
With a rich, preserved history and a number of natural resources, there are many things to do in St. Thomas.
• Canada Southern Railway Station – built between 1871 and 1873, this station served as a local station and company headquarters during its heyday. Today, the historic facility has been designated under the Canadian Heritage Railway Stations Protection Act.
• Elgin Military Museum – a collection of military history that began through a collective effort of ordinary citizens. The exhibit helps to preserve, showcase and recognize the contributions of Elgin County residents to Canadian military history.
• Jumbo Statue – the most famous elephant that ever lived died in St. Thomas in 1885. One hundred years later, the city dedicated a 38-ton statue to the larger-than-life animal and, since then, many have taken pictures alongside “the King of Elephants.”
• Railway City Brewing Co. – hand crafted beers, locally grown hops and Ontario sourced malted grains are just a few of the perks of this award-winning St. Thomas mainstay.
• St. Thomas Horton Farmers’ Market – from Mother’s Day through to November every year, local farmers and craftspeople pour into Manitoba Street (near Talbot Street) to provide a unique taste of the region.
• Park and trails
Education in St. Thomas
Students can find apartments and houses for rent in St. Thomas, Ontario close to its post-secondary institution:
• Fanshawe College – the St. Thomas/Eglin location is an intimate classroom setting, where students can get to know fellow classmates and faculty members on a one-on-one basis.
Transportation in St. Thomas
If you’re renting in St. Thomas, you can use the St. Thomas Transit Services every day of the week, except Sundays and holidays. Residents who are unable to use the conventional fixed route – due to disability – can utilize Parallel Transit, which operates door-to-door for those who apply for the service.
London | St. Thomas | Ontario | Canada Southern Railway Station | Elgin Military Museum | Jumbo Statue | Railway City Brewing Co. | St. Thomas Horton Farmers’ Market | Fanshawe College | St. Thomas Transit Services | Parallel Transit
More Apartments for Rent