The town of Amherstburg, Ontario is situated across the Detroit River from the United States. Established as a British military fort in 1796, this town has evolved throughout the ages. It once served as a safe haven for African-American slaves during the Underground Railroad movement and a British military fort in 1786.
Recreation, Arts and Culture in Amherstburg
Find Amherstburg apartment rentals and you will enjoy a number of recreational activities.
• North American Black Historical Museum – founded in 1975, this non-profit institution narrates the rich and cultural history of African-Canadians’ journey and contributions to Canada. As the third black history museum of its kind in North America, it has attracted international visitors – including civil rights leader Rosa Park.
• Fort Malden – history buffs and casual explorers alike can enjoy this glimpse of 1800s military life. Located along the Detroit River, the site includes many original and restored pieces, such as original earthworks, barracks and an interactive museum.
• Holiday Beach– fans of the great outdoors will enjoy this long sandy beach along the shores of Lake Erie. Enjoy a day at the beach, a picnic or the seasonal campsites. Bird watchers and budding ornithologists will appreciate the site’s Important Bird Area designation
Attractions, Arts and Culture in Vancouver
• St. Clair College – this mid-sized campus is located a 30 minute drive away from Amherstburg. The college offers a wide variety of courses, from programs in advertising and graphic design to journalism and dental hygiene. There are currently more than 20,000 students enrolled in the institution, with the majority of students enrolled on a part-time basis.
• University of Windsor – since its incorporation in 1963, the University of Windsor has continued to expand. Today, its 16,000+ students can choose from more than 190 programs.
• Saint Paul University – a bilingual post-secondary institution with courses in human sciences, philosophy, theology and canon law.
• La Cité collégiale – Ontario’s largest French-language college provides more than 90 programs to over 5000 full-time students from across Ontario, Canada and other parts of the world.
More Apartments for Rent